Sunday, March 7, 2010

You walked into the party, like you were walking onto a yacht...



I bought the hubby a record player for Christmas and since then we've been buying vinyl like crazy! One night I mentioned that I'd like to get this Carly Simon record--I really love You're So Vain. I was describing the album to him. It's the one where Carly looks a little chilly. (although very chic in that 1972 way..) A day or two later, Matt came home with the album.

That's the great thing about records. It cost him like $3 or $4 bucks. I probably wouldn't go buying it on itunes... but it's fun to have the whole thing on vinyl.

Since we've had the record player--we've been trolling all kinds of places for records. There is something to be said for thumbing through the stacks of albums. It is much more satisfying that looking through CD's (which most people don't do today really...) or downloading from itunes... which is speedy but not really very exciting at all. 

We've also noticed that it makes you listen differently. You put it on and the needle makes its way through the whole album. You can't skip tracks or zone out, because you also have to take time to flip it over. New or old music--it makes you really hear what you are listening to.. and you can't beat the occasional crackle and warble of the vinyl...

Plus, the packaging, the cover art, the liner notes...and for the most part they are cheap!

But my favorite thing on the older albums is when someone has written on the cover. We've noticed cute little address stickers, signatures with a flourish... It makes you wonder who used to own it... and when and where.. they too were listening.    


Records also encourage variety. Here are our most recent purchases:

1) The Best of The Band
2) Double Fantasy-John Lennon and Yoko Ono (unfortunately a lot of Yoko)
3) INXS-Kick ( a Lindsay pick--one of the first tapes I remember having--it was a controversial buy--because of the song Devil Inside. Mom had to be assured by my uncle that it was okay. Yes, that happened, Mom. Maybe 6th grade?)
4) Roxy Music-Avalon
5) The Byrds Greatest Hits
6) Joanna Newsom-Have One on Me ( new music--and sooo good. Unique. Random fact: she is dating Andy Samberg**)
7) Sarah Vaughan-The Divine One (selected by Matt following this post. How sweet!)
                                              
Carly Simon - You're So Vain .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine
...Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror
As you watched yourself ** gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner.... 



**The rest of the first verse of You're So Vain... I never knew what the heck gavotte was.. until now. 
I always thought it said "go by"...


 
**Joanna Newsom & Andy Samberg at the Kentucky Derby '09.
Huh.




6 comments:

  1. There's just nothing like listening to music on vinyl!! Thanks for stirring up some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember asking an uncle about that song..which uncle was it? How funny! I didn't see any John Denver in your pile of albums...Hmmmm..guess we better get you some..now THAT's music! love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the writings, signatures etc, too. On old books and bibles, too. Just adds to the character of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, it doesn't get ANY better than John Denver singing Calypso on LP. I can hear the static and the sound of the needle on the vinyl as I type! OK so Shawn Cassidy was always good too. And Air Supply. Hmm, maybe I need to buy a record player too.......Marty and I can pull out all our old 33's and torture the kids by making them listen to our old stories right along with the music!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn--I remember jamming out to Prince with you when we were visiting Minnesota. You dressed me up "cool" and took me to the high school football game!

    And don't encourage the John Denver.. It might encourage Audrey to bust out her collection.. and it's huge! haha, Mom!

    ReplyDelete