Thursday, June 24, 2010

Me and my cousins... and you and your cousins...

My cousin Colleen in North Carolina recently provided me with some of her must-read titles for my summer reading list.
(Another post for another day!)

She asked me for some music recommendations. So I'm continuing the Cousin Audio-Visual Club here because it's always better to take a listen than just read about music! And "all of you"***--whoever that may--- be can enjoy the wisdom of musical taste. :)

1) Wolf Parade Expo 86

This one's not actually out yet, but will be soon. Edited to add: It's now out!  However, I happen to know it is  good all the way through!And I will be seeing them at Pitchfork Music Fest next month--hooray!
Here's a link where you can download two tracks.

2) Phosphorescent Here's to Taking it Easy


First of all--what better title for summer. It's got a little alt-country flavor. Put it on and listen all the way through. My favorites: We'll be Here Soon and The Mermaid Parade. Here's a review that gives it justice.


3) Sleigh Bells Treats
At first listen I wasn't that into Sleigh Bells, but now I've had it on repeat. Roll down your windows and jam to Rill Rill, my favorite track by far.


(Plus, I gotta love a cool rocker chick with cool rocker chick bangs!)

Described here as aggressive but not macho. Yep.



 4) The Radio Dept. Clinging to a Scheme

 These guys are Swedish and I guess have been around for a bit. This album sounds familiar but totally different. Example: Heaven'S on Fire.  Again, good all the way through! Always a plus in my book. More here.

5) Pretty in Pink soundtrack


Yes. A retro pick! And I will mention that Matt downloaded this one. It's held up well from 1986. A little OMD with "If You Leave" and "Pretty in Pink" from Psychedelic Furs.






Seriously though, that dress was never cute.






Take a listen to all at playlist.com . Couldn't get it to embed here... but this is the link!



Just a cool bonus video from Vampire Weekend as an homage to cousins !



***(I use the term "all of you" loosely. Hi, Reed. Hi, Matt. Hi, Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment