Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Now bring us some figgy pudding...

I haven't really been ready to get in the Christmas spirit so far this season. I'm just not feeling it yet! But I'm getting there after I ran across the "lite" radio station here in Louisville that has already gone to ALL holiday songs! Today I heard a few favorites in a row...including John Denver and the Muppets singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". My favorite part is Animal in the background singing "won't go, won't go" and Scooter's snide comment about bacon. (Check out the YouTube link below--it's short!)

Matt bought this album on vinyl for me earlier this year for a quarter! I'm going to cue it up and get festive! Meantime... a few other recommendations....

1) Now That's What I Call Christmas (volume 1)


Two discs! Disc 1 covers your classics--Bing singing "White Christmas", Nat King Cole singing "The Christmas Song". Disc 2 you get your modern-day favorites (or 80's nuggets)--"Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid and "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney.
A word of warning--it was released in 2001 so towards the end you suffer with Boys II Men and Britney Spears.

2) Ray Conniff and the Ray Conniff Singers We Wish You a Merry Christmas


I remember my mom had this record and would always play it at Christmas. Its original release was 1962. Six tracks of kitchy, retro glory!  I love the first track--Medley, Jolly Old St. Nick/The Little Drummer Boy. It takes me back! And you have to dig that foxy Santa outfit on the cover.

3) A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Spector 

Yes, yes, Phil Spector may have been convicted of murder. But before that he was a hell of a producer! Great girl group numbers from Darlene Love and The Ronettes---just don't get freaked out when Phil himself starts wishing you Happy Holidays on the last track.


No comments:

Post a Comment